Tuesday 14 February 2012

Exchange 2010 SP2 Upgrade

Hey all It’s been a while.

In the last week had decided to upgrade my companies Exchange 2010 environment from Service Pack 1 to Service pack 2

My environment consists of 2 active directory sites each with 1 CAS/HUB transport server and 1 Mailbox role. So 4 exchange servers altogether. The Mailbox servers make up a DAG group.

Server 2008 R2 SP1 Exchange was SP1 + Rollup update 4 v2 on all servers.

14.1.0323.003 (console version number)

14.1.218.15 (registry version number)

Before upgrading I made sure I had decent backups of DC’s and Exchange servers. Because mine is a virtual environment (VMware) I took snapshots of all four exchange servers and one DC per site.

I followed the instructions found here on upgrading.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb629560.aspx

The first part upgrading the CAS and HUB transport servers went like a dream.

When it came to upgrading the Mailbox role servers again I followed the instructions above migrated all stores. Made sure the server wasn’t the active DAG member. I then ran the maintenance script and I got the following error.

Error 1

Some controls aren’t valid. Setup previously failed while performing the action “Install”. You can’t resume setup by performing the action “BuildToBuildUpgrade”.

Cause:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\MailboxRole\Action
Action key is present with value data: Install

This is the solution that I found in places online, like TechNet and experts exchange seemed to have worked for people. So I performed it.

Solution:
Delete Action key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\MailboxRole


I followed this advice and this error disappeared and I got the following error.

Error 2

Mailbox role

Error: this server role can't be installed because the following roles aren't current: AdminToolsRole

This is the solution that I found online in the same places as before.

Solution:

1. HKLM\Software\ExchangeServer\V14\AdminTools\ConfiguredVersion

Change ConfiguredVersion from 14.1.218.5 to 14.2.247.5

2. Restart server and start Exchange 2010 SP2 Setup


So I again followed this advice and I got the following error on the next install attempt.

Error 3

The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
$vdirName = "PowerShell";
$InternalPowerShellUrl="http://" + $RoleFqdnOrName + "/powershell";
new-PowerShellVirtualDirectory $vdirName -InternalUrl $InternalPowerShellUrl -DomainController $RoleDomainController -BasicAuthentication:$false -WindowsAuthentication:$false -RequireSSL:$false;
" was run: "The virtual directory 'PowerShell' already exists under servername.yourdomain/Default Web Site'.
Parameter name: VirtualDirectoryName"


The solution for this took me a while to find.

1. Open ADSIEDIT.msc and navigate to SERVER - PROTOCOLS – HTTP, then delete PowerShell VD.

2. Log onto the server , launch IIS Manger and remove the PowerShell VD.

3.Run this command from the Elevated cmd prompt -> cscript.exe Adsutil.vbs delete w3svc/1/root/PowerShell

4. Restart Server

After Following these steps Installation should move forward.

Step 1 this in configuration, services, microsoft Exchange,Organisation,administrative group, then server ect.

Step 3 to get the adsutil.vbs script you have to install the IIS 6 Scripting Tools and elevated is RUNAS /User:DOMAIN\username

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/0eb81c20-9868-4157-94b0-74aee0cbdabd


I restarted and I got error 3 again. At this point I decided to revert back to the snapshot. I made sure the ADSI entry I had removed was back. I had backed it up just in case. I then decided to try the other mailbox server. Followed all the same procedures and got exactly the same process of errors. At this point I rolled back to the snapshot (Don’t you just love virtualisation) and went back to the drawing board.

The first error I decided was my focus point.

“Some controls aren’t valid. Setup previously failed while performing the action “Install”. You can’t resume setup by performing the action “BuildToBuildUpgrade””

What was the problem why was there still a remnant in the registry from a previous install. What was the previous install? Rollup updates don’t count. I had previously installed service pack 1 it was the last thing I could think off. So I re-ran the install for SP1 and straight away I saw that the install couldn’t have completed properly as it was letting me select and unselect the mailbox role. This should be greyed out if already installed.
I ran the install and sure enough the registry entry removed itself. I was then able to run SP2 without any problems.

I hope this helps and I have some posts from another blog which I will start moving into this one shortly.

5 comments:

  1. This goes to show at least for me how dependent I am on Google to do some of the leg work for me. In such a fast pace IT environment you don't always try and resolve the issue you first. You get an error code and do a google search. This could become the replacement phrase for turn it off and turn it on again. That users so endearingly associate with IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,


    I have looked in ADSI edit and I couldnt find "SERVER - PROTOCOLS – HTTP,"

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADSI edit, Configuration, Services, Microsoft Exchange, Administrative Groups, Exchange Administrative Group, Servers, SERVERNAME, Protocols, HTTP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok found the VD but why i cant delete it and im logged on as administrator

    ReplyDelete